Thursday, April 17, 2008

Simple things

My friend helped me remember that we need to stop and appreciate the simple things. She also helped me realize how important it is to scrapbook and journal our experiences.

Conference talk "Daughters of God" from Elder Ballard.

"The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make....I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. Thee is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set of a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
Anna Quindlen, Loud and Clear [2004], 10-11).

3 comments:

Karin said...

So true, so true! LoVeD that whole talk. Nice excuse to blog away on these precious kids!

Kathy said...

Kimberly, That is one of the errors I am guilty of making at first until I realized I was doing the same thing. Later I started to find joy in the simple things, like camp outs and picnics, 4-H projects and new kittens and ponies. Watching ball games and school plays. The list could go on. One day it will all be different, they will be creating their own simple memories. MOM

Katie said...

I love it. Great quote.